- Pine running on my local system
- Pine running on a remote system (in an ssh window)
- Mulberry running on my local system
- Opera Mail running on my local system
- Horde/IMP running in my web browser
tailcommand to monitor my Procmail log. Ever since I switched from Procmail to Sieve, I've been looking for a good way to monitor all my incoming mailboxes. There are a number of options, for example I could:
- use the IMP 4.1+ virtual Inbox
- use Opera Mail's "Received" view
- send messages or message fragments to an RSS/Atom/XML Feed and use a feed aggregator to monitor my incoming email
backup-allbefore I do any other server-side sorting. Since my IMAP service provider, Tuffmail, supports the Sieve
copyextension, all I needed to do was put the following two lines at the beginning of my Sieve script:
require ["fileinto", "copy"];And now I always have an instance of Pine viewing my
fileinto :copy "backup-all";
backup-allmailbox. In addition to notifying me about all my email as it arrives, this
backup-allmailbox provides me with:
- a backup of all my email
- an easy way to search all my email when I'm using an IMAP client, such as Pine, that is good at searching one mailbox, but not especially useful when searching across multiple mailboxes.
- a good way to test various IMAP clients' ability to handle a mailbox with 50,000+ messages!
backup-allmailbox is as useful to you as it is to me. I'm curious to hear how you monitor your incoming IMAP mailboxes and if (and in what way) a
backup-allmailbox is useful to you. Please don't be shy about leaving a comment!
1 In the IMAP world, the word "mailbox" means a container of messages and each IMAP user will usually have multiple IMAP-accessible mailboxes, for example INBOX, Sent, Drafts, ListN, Green, and MaybeSpam. I discuss "mailbox" and other email terminology in the Terminology section of my IMAP Service Providers page.
2 To learn about what the term "RECENT" means in the context of IMAP, see the Terminology section of my Power Pine page.
Hashtag: # [?]
Post & Read Comments (located elsewhere)
Post & Read Comments (located here)
(*) I don't delete anything, even spam, from my backup-all box.
Links to this page
Each item © Nancy McGough
Each comment © the author of the comment
Deflexion.com web site hosted by DreamHost.com
← More deflexions & reflexions, & feeds available via the sidebar top &
For bookmarks & links, please use